Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Friendship - Something that Should Never Be Taken For Granted

Recently, I found out that a friend of mine that I had met in fourth grade had passed away from cancer.  The news came as a shock because I hadn’t been in touch with her for years, about 10 to be exact.  My high school is in the process of planning our 20 year reunion, and with the help of social networks such as Facebook, the committee is able to communicate news, plans, and requests easier than ever before.  While I was reading one of the latest updates, I saw that pictures of “fallen seniors” from the class of 1992 were being requested to honor them at the reunion and the list included my friend’s name.

I couldn’t believe my eyes!  I responded to the person heading up the committee to see if she knew what happened.  She told me that my friend had passed away a few months after giving birth to her 4th child, which was about a year ago.  I was filled with regret.

I had sent my friend a Friend Request on Facebook months ago, but hadn’t gotten a reply back.  Although it didn’t seem like her to ignore a friend request, I didn’t put too much thought into it.  I figured she was busy, or someone had hacked into her account and she had abandoned it.  It never occurred to me that she might be gone.

The last time I saw her was 10 years ago when she came to my house to invite me to our 10 year reunion.  I told her that I was not going to be able to make it because I had been very busy with kids, work, a new relationship, and life in general.  She was disappointed that I wasn’t able to attend, but she understood.  I told her that I would try to make the next reunion and that I’d keep in touch with her.  Unfortunately, that didn’t happen.

I’m here to tell you that many times, we don’t get a second chance.  It’s so easy to get wrapped up in the day to day stuff that we put things off, banking on the idea that we’ll have another chance to do it.  To my friend, I’m sorry that I didn’t touch base with you sooner and that I missed the opportunity to thank you for be-friending me in fourth grade when I was the new girl in class and no one else cared to talk to me.  Your bright smile and contagious laugh will be missed, and your spirit will live on in your four boys forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment