Friday, February 4, 2011

I'm Becoming My Mom!

It's funny that as kids, we all start off thinking that we're not going to be like our parents, but I find as I get older, I become more and more like them, particularly, my mother.  I find myself saying things that I remember her saying and reacting in similar manners.  It used to drive me crazy when my mom would say things like, "When you have kids, you'll understand."  The time has come...I understand.  

I understand that my parents took great care of me.  I understand that my parents wanted the best for me.  I understand that they didn't enjoy punishing me (even though I thought that as a child!).  They did the things they did for me so that I would grow up to be a caring, thoughtful, and productive individual.  They loved me enough to be great parents.  

I've had several jobs, but none as important as being a parent.  I hear from time to time that being a parent is a thankless job, but I disagree.  At this point in my life, I'm very thankful to my parents for all that they've done for me and the lasting gifts that they've instilled in my life.  And I know that one day, my kids will understand too.

So, as far as becoming my mother...it's not such a bad thing after all!

2 comments: