Friday, January 28, 2011

Food Diary

I heard recently that more people than ever are finding that they have food allergies that they were never aware of.  Isn't it funny that we pay attention to medicinal allergies, or allergic reactions to bee stings, etc., but we never really pay attention to whether the foods we eat are making us sick?  I'm not just talking about over-indulging in some cake and feeling bad...which, I'm not proud to say, I've done myself!

Food allergies can come in obvious forms such as rashes, but they can also come in more subtle forms, such as stomach aches, gas, and bloating.  Most people might blow this off, but it might be a sign of an allergy.  Maybe you don't realize how badly certain foods make you feel, but you keep on eating them because you don't know that your body is responding to something is considers a toxin.

A food diary is a great way to find out if you might have a sensitivity to certain types of food.  Just jot down the foods you eat and take note about how your body feels afterward.  It's a small investment of time to find out if the reason you don't feel well is because of an allergy.  After a month, review your food diary and see if you notice any patterns, then of course, you may want to consult your doctor.  Maybe you find that you don't feel well after eating eggs, which is a common food allergy.  But what else did you eat that contains eggs that made you feel bad?  Cake?  Bread?  I know that eggs don't come to mind when I think of those foods!

This is just a thought to remind us to pay attention to how we're feeling.  I invite you to join me in doing this.  I'm going to try keeping a food diary for a month and see if I come up with anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment